Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, a multi-traditional Buddhist study and practice center in the woods of central Massachusetts, was founded by Joseph Goldstein and Sharon Salzberg in 1991. We offer a growing, diverse program of residential and online courses for folks who want to deepen their practice and enhance their understanding of Buddhism within a community.
BCBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (BCBS) is seeking an experienced Facilities Manager to care for and maintain our education and retreat center consisting of two main buildings plus eight cottages on 90 beautiful wooded acres in central Massachusetts. The Facilities Manager maintains the study center’s property and infrastructure to ensure both natural beauty and optimal operating results. The position reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Plan and coordinate all system installations and repairs, and monitor performance
- Manage the upkeep of equipment and supplies to meet health and safety standards
- Inspect all structures to determine need for repairs or renovations
- Review energy and water consumption and strive to minimize costs
- Manage landscaping, tree trimming, septic system, sanding and snow removal
- Oversee and supervise volunteers and contractors
- Develop and manage effective relationships with vendors and town officials
- Oversee activities like parking, construction, waste disposal, building security, etc.
- Work closely with Executive Director on facility planning and budgeting
- Assist with other duties as needed to support all BCBS operations
- Treat everyone with kindness, patience, and respect in every interaction
- 2+ years’ experience as facilities manager, caretaker, or relevant position
- Working knowledge of carpentry, electrical, mechanical, HVAC systems, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and independently
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Sense of humor, flexibility, and willingness to perform a wide variety of tasks
- Commitment to maintaining a warm, welcoming environment for all
- A sincere interest in contemplative practice and study, and in actively contributing to a collaborative, collegial work environment
- Requires heavy physical work including snow removal as well as sometimes lifting objects of 50 pounds or more
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a requirement of all positions at BCBS and must be submitted prior to your start date
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This is a full-time position offering onsite housing, medical and dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan, an IMS/BCBS staff sangha program, and meals.
BCBS is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from historically marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Facilities Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please.