Lovingkindness, or metta, is sometimes depicted as a simple practice to “open your heart and love everybody.” A closer look at the Buddha’s teachings reveals a more complex and nuanced picture in which metta is embodied as living kindness. This six-week program will explore the Metta Sutta and other texts from the Pali Canon to explore a broader understanding of loving kindness. We will look at how these ideas can have direct benefits on our personal lives as well as deepen our experience of meditation.
In live video calls, guided meditation, and Q&A, this program will cover the following topics:
- The Metta Sutta – a close reading of this essential text.
- Self-compassion/love – challenges of loving yourself.
- Non-ill-will and Community – working with anger, aversion, etc. Living with others.
- The Five Hindrances – using the Brahmaviharas to counter the obstructions in meditation (and life).
- Love and attachment – how clinging causes suffering.
- Equanimity and Concentration – the Fourth Brahmavihara, a balanced, peaceful, and clear mind.
- Insight and Awakening – exploring the ways that metta reveals key insights and how it relates to the idea of enlightenment.
This program is hosted on Zoom and closed captions are available. You can check the time of the group sessions in your timezone here: https://www.worldtimebuddy.com. The schedule of Zoom meetings for this program (shown in US Eastern Time) is as follows:
Meeting Time: Tuesdays, 7:00-8:30 PM ET
Meeting Dates: January 16, 23, 30, February 6, 13, 20
Please note that sessions will be recorded and made available to participants within 48 hours of each session for all programs except weekend retreats. For weekend retreats, all recordings will be made available within 48 hours of the final session. Recordings remain available for two weeks from the program end date with the exception of one-time events, available indefinitely on our website.
Registration fees for all online programs are nonrefundable after the program start date. Cancellations prior to the program start date incur a $25 cancellation fee. Application-based and online path programs incur a $50 cancellation fee in 2023 and a $100 cancellation fee beginning 2024.
As we work to become a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, we invite feedback/suggestions you may have regarding ways that we can make participation in the program more accessible and welcoming. Please email us at email@example.com.